A Brief History of Kirby Foods
Jerry W. Scribner (1931 - 1985) founded Kirby Foods in 1969 when he purchased the first store that became Kirby IGA Foodliner in Champaign, Illinois.
In 1973 he bought the Tuscola and Arcola IGA stores. Vic Buraglio joined Kirby Foods in 1974.
In 1976 the new Tuscola IGA was opened and Vic became general manager of Kirby Foods. Later stores were added in Eureka, Metamora, and Hoopeston. In 1983 two Kroger stores in Champaign-Urbana were purchased and reopened as Jerry's IGA. The Kirby IGA was renamed Jerry's IGA at that time also. Jerry Reynolds was appointed Director of Operations after having managed the Arcola and Tuscola stores.
Mr. Jerry W. Scribner died June 1, 1985.
Vic Buraglio became president of Kirby Foods and Jerry Reynolds became general manager. In 1986, Vic bought Mrs. Scribner's interest in the company. Gary Knudsen became Director of Retail Operations after being store manager at Jerry's in Urbana and Jerry's on Kirby.
In 1990, John Lamkin joined Kirby Foods after multiple management jobs at Supervalu.
Vic continued the growth of Kirby Foods adding stores in Sullivan, Paris, Arthur, Danville, Rantoul, and Le Roy. Stores were also added in Rockville, Clinton, Terre Haute, and West Terre Haute, IN.
In July 2001, Vic Buraglio sold Kirby Foods to Jerry Reynolds, Gary Knudsen, and John Lamkin.
Currently, Kirby Foods consists of nineteen stores, 14 IGA's and 5 Save A Lots.
The success of Kirby Foods is a result of high standards of customer service, ethics, support for our communities, and a great group of people who operate the stores and the company.